• Angry
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • User Tag List

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: X-Rebirth is finally here. What are your initial impressions?

Elder Administrator Aragon Speed's Avatar
      Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

Aragon Speed Points for Reputation (Given)      £ 0.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther
      Dazed and sore at the bottom of the ugly tree. YES I FELL!
      Blog Entries

Default X-Rebirth is finally here. What are your initial impressions?

The title says it all really, first day in the game, what do you think so far?

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

Kantall      £ 0.00

Bad. Really bad. It feels like a huge step backwards for the franchise in almost every sense. The interface is horrendous, weaponry has been dumbed down unbelievably, the graphics are no better than Terran Conflicts, the "run around looting stuff in space stations" thing is completely unnecessary and silly, the dialogue is laughably wooden and trading is just plain awkward. This seems like a half-baked attempt to try to make the game accessible to a wider audience (Which I'm all in favour of, in theory) which resulted in the game losing it's charm. I'm going to keep playing in the hope that it wins me over, but it's really not looking good.

Credits
      is without status

I am:
      Hungry

Total Contributions For

K.J.      £ 0.00

If you where to interview bernd now he would say: "Remember that this is only V1.0"
      Seems like egosoft has problems keeping their site running... it's also the Topseller on Steam right now. So hopefully it pays out for them so they can improve and expand on it.
      Don't have the game yet, for some reason i was more thrilled on playing it 2 weeks ago then i'm now when it finally is released.

Last edited by K.J.; 15-11-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Total Contributions For

S-P      £ 0.00

Where to start...My Sidewinder II joystick don't work properly, the throttle and pitch controls are in reverse, I really hope they fix the controls. Also don't like how you have to keep swapping through menus, really tedious to say the least. The docking is not great either, I was flying around for ages before I realized you have to double click on the icon, which means you have to disable flight briefly to access the menus. All in all I'm not that impressed. And to top it all off I can't even get on the Egosoft forums, I guess there are too many people complaining.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

FearNLoathing      £ 0.00

Quote Originally Posted by Kantall View Post
      This seems like a half-baked attempt to try to make the game accessible to a wider audience (Which I'm all in favour of, in theory) which resulted in the game losing it's charm. I'm going to keep playing in the hope that it wins me over, but it's really not looking good.
      This. I'm all for making the x-series more approachable but dumbing down the economy and making the interface worse doesn't seem like the answer. Its early, and a lot of the kinks are likely to be ironed out but so far it sure feels like a step back. I'll put more time in before being too disappointed but some of the series' largest strengths seem to have taken a hit here. And it isn't as if the graphics are so much better as to outweigh the other stuff.

Credits
      is working on Project X

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Mokonzi Points (Total)      £ 235.00
      Blog Entries

Just got my game booted up... trying to find some time to give it a good look over... interesting so far...

Mokonzi

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Tired

Total Contributions For

Scoob      £ 0.00

Quote Originally Posted by Aragon Speed View Post
      The title says it all really, first day in the game, what do you think so far?
      Well, I'm having fun so far bar a few minor glitches:

1. Default Joystick controls are rubbish, quite easily fixed, but it should be set properly as standard. Seem like Game Pads got all the love...
      2. Going "off-piste" during the initial "training" missions can totally screw things up. As soon as I could, I ordered my trade ship to do some trading for me - I'd explored a little and found some VERY lucrative trades. However, before my ship could deliver it's wares - it bought them fine - a plot point forced it to follow me, breaking its delivery (forvever) and preventing the ship doing anything.
      3. Collision detection for large ships is...non-existant. I'm constantly seeing them just fly right through stations - none of the nice pathing we saw in the official video.
      4. I do feel a bit lost! I'm flying all over the place and would be totally lost if not for the guidance. Needless to say this makes me feel right at home as it's an X game
      5. I'm encouraged to STEAL stuff from stations...I'm not a pirate....yet...
      6. FPS Performance isn't so good, plus the game isn't taking advantage of SLI yet - I suspect a driver update will sort that.
      7. CPU load is HEAVY but distributed across all cores - my 2500k @ 4.8 shows typically 40-60% load or there abouts, so less CPU's may be struggling.
      8. Game crashed ONCE, repeatable and easily avoidable...it related to asking an NPC's skills when you're on the ship they're piloting.
      9. Some slight audio distortion in the intro video - other vids fine.

Ok, that's the first few bad things I've encountered...on to some good.

1. It's a new game, really, it doesn't feel like X at all at the moment. This is GOOD as it does feel fresh.
      2. I'm having FUN.
      3. Only one CTD - (point 8 above)

Short list for sure, but I've just started the game!

Oh, cool moment... I'm landed in the docking bay of my Trade ship (it's flippin' HUGE) I'm standing beside the Skunk looking out - docking bay is in the front of the trade ship. I've given orders to the captain, and he's flying directly to my destination at high speed - faster than I can boost - not needing to go around the houses using the highways. To be clear, I'm standing next to the Skunk, in the docking bay of a huge ship, looking out through the forcefield (I assume) as my big ship navigates

What do I feel the game needs patch-wise? Mostly a few performance tweaks methinks. A working SLI profile would fix most of the problems for me as currently a SINGLE GTX 680 @ 1200mhz core is sitting at 95%+ load much of the time...

Thinking that I quite like running around stations at the moment, but think it'll get old quite quickly. Give me VIEW PORTS (other than docking bay view) so I can see out and I'll be happy

Scoob.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

Kantall      £ 0.00

Oh dear....After three attempts to pass it, I'm completely stuck. During the trade tutorial it's possible for your trade ship to basically refuse to move at all, instead just sitting on commands it never intends to fulfil until it hits the cap of 3 commands and locks up entirely. Lots of people seem to be having this issue and if you -do- encounter it, you cannot continue the plot. I've started three completely new games to try to get past it, but with no luck. As tempting as it is to switch to free game, I simply don't understand the game well enough to do that. Missions are a chore to find, navigation is an absolute nightmare and there have been several reports of a bug which causes you to be locked into Albion in freeplay, despite that being a plot thing.

Credits
      is working on Project X

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Mokonzi Points (Total)      £ 235.00
      Blog Entries

I think we need to post some tips and issues in a separate thread for new users to be aware of.

Will get something sorted.

New forum for the discussions now...

Mokonzi

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

LastChime      £ 0.00

It's alright so far, not being able to bind the bumpers on my xbork pad to roll takes a lot out of it for me, probably gonna end up xpaddering this one too.

Not crazy about the new menu system but maybe I'll warm up to it eventually, more caused by it being pretty unfamiliar than anything I think.

Working through the campaign I won't spoil anything but it gets really obnoxious once a faction is miffed with you, cant find a way to fix it easy and they royally bork any side mission attempts.

On the plus side, it's pretty and the sound is pretty good

Might just kick into freeplay cause I think I might enjoy it more.