is Quite Bonkers

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

ytene      £ 475.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther

Default X-Games and Windows 10

Hello everyone...

After the longest absence from gaming, I am back with another new PC and a new interest given that the evenings are closing in and there are less fun things to do outside now that it's getting colder...

This morning I had a quick attempt at installing X3:Reunion on to a brand new PC build... It's brand new including my replacement of Windows 7/64 with Windows 10/64... Now, I really like Windows 7, so it was a big wrench to give it up and move to Windows 10. However, when Microsoft announced that they are moving away from discrete patches and towards an all-in-one updater, it became obvious that they were forcing their Windows 10-era spyware on to Windows 7... So it seemed pointless to stick with older Win 7 technology, hence the rebuild to Win10...

This morning I thought I'd attempt to install a couple of real favorites: X3 Reunion and X3 Terran Conflict. Like an idiot I grabbed the "first" Reunion box that came to hand; it was the original packaged version, in a DVD case with a large "x" super-imposed over a star, with part of a factory in the foreground and "REUNION" in smaller letters across the bottom. As I found out to my cost, this "original" DVD also performs a silent install of some anti-theft software, which Windows 10 absolutely does not like *at all*. The OS pops up a complainer message when it sees a driver that it doesn't like [and which is signed with a deprecated Microsoft certificate] but by then the damage is done. IF YOU TRY AND INSTALL X-GAMES FROM ORIGINAL PACKAGING, YOU WILL BREAK WINDOWS 10!!! Getting out of the mess is, fortunately, no more complicated than running a "restore" of your system... Just navigate to the "Troubleshoot" option under "Advanced", pick a previous restore point and click and all should be well...

I vaguely remember reading that the media provided with the X-Superbox did not have the copy protection added... If I am feeling particularly brave I might give it a go...

Fortunately I am not entirely without Space Sim gaming, but to be honest even Elite Dangerous is a pale imitation of Reunion, let alone Terran Conflict. Sure, ED has much more modern technology, it is visually very appealing - and, best of all, it runs natively across my triple-monitor setup, giving me more than 60fps across 3 Dell 2415s [5760x1200 pixels total screen size] using an nVidia 1080GTX - but it is such completely mindless grind... At least with the X games I can balance my bounty hunting and freight hauling with some factory building - and then use the resultant weapons and shields to protect my growing fleet of automated ships.

Oh well, if we get lucky, either Frontier will continue to enrich the Elite universe, or Egosoft will bring us a replacement for Stillbirth[TM] that returns us to the fun of Reunion and Terran Conflict... Here's hoping, but in the interim - take care if you upgrade to Windows 10...

Credits
      is Quite Bonkers

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

ytene      £ 475.00

OK, time to confess to a foot-gun moment of breathtaking stupidity...

I installed the basic game, then immediately launched it in order to find out what the "DVD Version" of the file was. Apparently, the DVDs include copy protection that is not activated until the game is launched; the act of launching caused the copy protection to attempt to install, part of which includes an attempt to register a "device driver" that is in fact that spyware/monitoring agent that tracks copy protection. Had I done a basic installation and then immediately patched to the most recent Egosoft update file, I would have side-stepped the issue (since the patch removes the copy-protection)...

I now have both ReUnion and Terran Conflict installed, both fully patched and both upgraded to X-Tended and XTC Status...

I also discovered that both of these games work perfectly with a triple-monitor setup, out-of-the-box, with frame rates every bit as good as a single-monitor configuration... There is a little image distortion in the side screens, but actually less than I get with Elite Dangerous.

In fact, the only remaining problem that I have is controller related. I used to play these X-Games with my Logitech Wingman joystick [which is perfectly adequate and still available] but I purchased the better and more expensive Saitek X52 Pro... which would be nice to use. The only issue is that somehow the Saitek has swapped the roll and yaw [rudder] functionality. In other words, I have to roll by twisting the joystick grip, and slew left or right by "banking"... I am pretty sure that I can re-program these two inputs using the configuration options. If I find something that works I'll post the results for anyone else considering an X52...

Credits
      is mostly insane with a 20% of
      chance of violance!

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

MadMac      £ 0.00

I noticed after being force to Windows 10 that I had to make sure my joystick was plugged into a USB 2.0 port.
      The USB 3.0 port was causing input issues.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.