I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

ytene      £ 475.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther

Default Question on Map Expansion [Possible Spoiler]

Hello everyone...

This is a potentially silly question.

In a play through of XTC - and I am approximately 8 days of game time in at this point - most of the Universe is now revealed, including much of the Xenon and Khaak territory. However, there is an "Uncharted Sector", located spoiler: south of "Glow of Faith", which has not yet "opened up". The reason I'm asking about this is that not only has this sector not yet materialised, but there isn't even a gate in the corresponding position in the connecting sector.

I have a suspicion that this might be entirely self-inflicted... I am running with Cycrow's "Cheat Package" activated - and one of the things I do as a sector becomes available is to scan all the asteroids it contains. If the asteroid is "worthless" (for example, if the yield is generally low, or if the yield is not the top one or two asteroids of that type in the sector) then I have this habit of selecting the asteroid and using Cycrow's "Destroy Target" option...

I have done this for years now - the main reason is that by removing "redundant" objects from each sector, I am hoping to reduce the workload on the core graphics engine of the game and thereby get better frame rates. One of the things I've noticed with the X Games is that the continue to exhibit the odd graphics "funny" even though I'm running on a GPU (nVidia 1080GTX) which is way more powerful than the game was designed to run with. I certainly see improved results.

But I am wondering if I somehow got a bit trigger-happy and deleted the gate by mistake, or if there is any other reason that could explain this. It's not the end of the world - I can re-start or simply "go without" on this run-through. The reason that I was hoping to access this sector is simply that in the past I've found it a good place for my PHQ - OK there aren't that many decent asteroids there, but it's off-the-beaten track and easy to secure.

Interested if anyone can explain why the access gate may have completely disappeared, especially if the answer isn't "because the player is an idiot" ...

Thank you in advance...

Credits
      is Quite Bonkers

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

ytene      £ 475.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther

OK, so after the above post last week, I've had the chance to experiment a little bit. Although I'm not entirely sure where I obtained it from (other than knowing it isn't my work), I do have a graphic file stored away with my collection of XTC goodies. The file is called "X-Tended Terran Conflict Map" and has a logo in the top left which reads, "X3 map v1.2 by Scorp ( X-Tended TC Edition )...

Comparing this file with what I could see "in-game" I came to the conclusion that my game had completed it's universe expansion phase. The "missing" sector was still not appearing on my map and the gate I would have expected to navigate to get there was still missing.

As mentioned above, I do have Cycrow's "Cheat Package" installed, which gives an option to "reveal all sectors". When I used this option, sure enough, the "Uncharted Sector" dutifully appeared in my map...

I "jumped" in to the sector - and that went OK - and, to my surprise, there was a gate present to the "North" of this volume of space. Feeling (brave/reckless)* [delete as applicable], I went through the gate, and arrived exactly where I would expect to be. Even more interesting... the "missing" gate had returned. Now here's the thing. Because I wasn't thinking clearly [please see previous post concerning player == idiot] I didn't have the presence of mind to check the sector with the "missing gate" before I jumped to it.

Had I done so, I would have been able to determine whether or not the Cycrow script was responsible for fixing this problem, or whether, contrary to my earlier assertion, the universe expansion script had not, in fact, finished.

But...

I've been in and out of this sector a bunch of times now - and it seems to be absolutely fine. In fact, even though it doesn't have much in the way of raw materials, I've put a PHQ in there, got a couple of Cerberus on patrol duty (each accompanied by a pair of Centaurs) and I'm going to use the sector as a ship factory, even though it means I have to manually ship in the raw materials. It's working well - and the lack of other stations or asteroids means that it's a nice "clean" space to work with...

Ho hum.