• Hungry
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Macintosh users post your questions or comments here.

Credits
      is is happy TXU is back online

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

kevso101 - {SM}      £ 0.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther
      Blog Entries

Hi Losman,
      thanks for the kind words always happy to help on any little techy issue

Got a mate who selling a Mac Pro, got 8 cores and 4GB RAM etc, so i might add it to my ever growing collection of computers, it's even got Leopard on it which i think comes with Bootcamp.... hmmm my "Techy" sense is tingling!!

Cya

Kevso

"The way of the Modder: try something, hit your head on the keyboard once, try something else - rinse and repeat" Sartorie 2009
      "wisdom lies in th ghost of the Beverage" Sartorie 2010
      Stay safe in the X-Universe - Kevso101
      My Profile/PC Stats

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

Draxis      £ 0.00

thanks for all your help! now i just hope they get a better video card in macbook pros by default before i buy one... and whoever suggested OWC, 4gb of ram for $100!

M. Von Draxis, Professional Privateer - Bringing Class to Piracy Since X2: The Threat

My guides for mercenaries, pirates and privateers:
      The Professional Privateer: A Guide for the Discerning Pirate
      The Pirate's Hand Book

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Losman      £ 0.00

Quote Originally Posted by kevso101 View Post
      Hi Losman,
      thanks for the kind words always happy to help on any little techy issue

Got a mate who selling a Mac Pro, got 8 cores and 4GB RAM etc, so i might add it to my ever growing collection of computers, it's even got Leopard on it which i think comes with Bootcamp.... hmmm my "Techy" sense is tingling!!

Cya

Kevso
      That sounds like the new quad-core processors.., which is the new Intel Xeon proc. for Mac's, Just keep in mind X3 will only use 1 core and 1 processor to actually play the game..., If you have never owned a Mac before, I suggest you get it, most likely it will become your favorite computer..

Yup with Leopard OS X, bootcamp is included, so Install X3 and XTM (there's a good guide Here.) sorry had to do it...

Anyway, you will love it...As far as your Techie sense tingling , It will be tingling even more if he's selling it for a good price and you pass on it..(Kevso tells Losman he passed on it, even though it was a steal, Kevso's head starts tingling and hurting after Losman hits him with long BLUNT object..)

See ya..
      Let us know if you get it...
      Losman

Credits
      is is happy TXU is back online

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

kevso101 - {SM}      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

Hey Losman,
      'fraid it won't be until the new year his new toy won't be here 'til then and he better sell it to me for a good price or i'll have to skin him and sell his hide to a Teladi

Cya

Kevso

"The way of the Modder: try something, hit your head on the keyboard once, try something else - rinse and repeat" Sartorie 2009
      "wisdom lies in th ghost of the Beverage" Sartorie 2010
      Stay safe in the X-Universe - Kevso101
      My Profile/PC Stats

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

tyvol      £ 0.00

@ Losman
      Scorps Map is great! I know have a two page printed copy of the XTM universe!
      When I launch the search option in-game, it happens, but I don't get the confirmation mentioned. Something perhaps to with subtitles, but I don't know how to turn these on or off. Outstanding map tool, however. Many thanks for this tip!
      @ Kevso
      It's my guess that you will very much enjoy the Mac Pro unit you are considering, if you decide to purchase it. The Leopard world alone is worth a small detour. And, save all your PC software and games. Boot Camp is solid at this point on my Mac Pro set-up. Look into the GPU issue if you can. The X1900 with the latest firmware update/driver is all I need. But you can move up even further from there, depending upon checkbook, of course.
      @ Draxis
      Hang in there. In the past (no guarantee of anything, really), Apple tends to announce new product in the February-March timeframe. Shipping sometimes comes later. Worth looking out for, IMHO.

Cheers!

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Losman      £ 0.00

Hiya gang

I have a question about Vista ultimate with the use of it with Bootcamp (Mac OSX Leopard).

I have heard (rumor mills) about the 64 bit "ultimate" being buggy and wanted some feedback from others that have it or have had positive results..

I need to update my windows XP 32 bit and really want vista so I can get DirectX 10, but if its still buggy I might just get XP 64 bit so I can use more than 2 GB of My (now) 6 GB ram.

Also, If I do decide to go with Vista, I will have to upgrade my Video card. Currently have the ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512 MB and its been very good but its not DirectX 10 compatible, so I would like to hear some suggestions on a comparable or better video card *for my Macpro*, Nvidia or ATI I'm not bias, whatever will work the best!!

I just upgraded my RAM from 4 GB to 6 GB, Installed a new Western Digital "Raptor" 150 GB @ 10,000 RPM partitioned for PC for bootcamp and Upgraded to Mac OSX Leopard. After playing CRYSIS and only being able to run on it medium settings, I thought its time to do some upgrading!!

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated gang..

Thanks

Losman

Last edited by Losman; 23-04-2008 at 02:32 PM.

Elder Administrator Aragon Speed's Avatar
      Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

Aragon Speed Points for Reputation (Given)      £ 0.00
      Dazed and sore at the bottom of the ugly tree. YES I FELL!
      Blog Entries

Thread stickied.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

tyvol      £ 0.00

Hello Losman!

As a proud fellow Mac Pro owner (2 x 3GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon) running the Xtended Mod in Boot Camp, here are my small learnings...

1) In my experience for the last 5 months running Vista Ultimate 32 bit in Boot Camp, I've had no problems running the Xtended Mod (or anything else, really).
      2) I suggest that you make all the Microsoft updates to Vista as soon as you can in the install process, though (which I'm sure you do).
      3) I did try to install Vista Ultimate 64 bit under Tiger and it was flaky (it would not consistently start up and was a real pain), but that was under Tiger, back when Boot Camp was still in Beta form (under Leopard, Boot Camp is fully supported - but not for Vista 64 bit from my readings). I've decided that I'm going to stay with Vista's 32 bit version indefinitely, only because I know it works.
      4) As for DirectX 10 and a GPU beyond the ATI Radeon X1900 XT w/512 MB (I have the same one), I looked a little, but I could only find some that use the PCI Express 2 slots (our machines can only take PCI Express cards). There may be one out there, though, but we'll need to make sure it's "flashed" for the Mac world and not the PC world. And... there is the issue of AppleCare if you have it. A new GPU might just void AppleCare, but I'm not sure about this.
      5) The "raptor" will help under Vista, IMHO. Just look at the performance experience numbers when you get up and running on Vista - the slowest component is the GPU. My overall number is 5.8. Much faster than my friends fastest PC's.
      6) Crysis ran fine with most settings at their ultimate (I think they all were...) and the detail in that game was stunning.
      Anyway, I hope this helps!
      Keep us posted on what you find!
      Cheers
      tyvol

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Losman      £ 0.00

Thanks Tyvol for the wonderful advise!!!

Yeah, I think I will go 32 bit Vista unless I hear of progress with the ultimate in the meantime..(probably wait til september anyways)..

With my current upgrades my machine is running great!!
      While playing WoW framerates rarley drop under 120!!!

Question? what is your Ram limitations with vista 32 bit...

Heard Nvidia was coming out with a Mac version of the 8800 GtX 768 MB GPU!!! if so thats a really good card... ATI is also talking about making a crossfire unit that will work with Macpro, Trying to keep up with news on that, that would be sweet!!

Thanks again Tyvol for the response..

EDIT: off topic, Just got my friend (finaced for him) a dell XPS 680 sytem for $1500.00 US dollars with these specs:
      2.4 ghz quad-core
      Windows XP Pro 64 bit
      3 GB ram DDR2 @ 667 mHz
      500 GB 7200 RPM HD
      Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT 512 MB
      16 X DVD +/-RW
      19 inch widescreeen flat panel

And this thing is highly upgradeable, extra slots for everything. Kinda pisses me off, he gets such a decent system for the money...lol Tyvol knows how much we paid for our systems..

Have fun

Losman

Last edited by Losman; 21-05-2008 at 03:25 PM.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

Draxis      £ 0.00

how the hell did he get that? Thats not right... for 1500.00? Is that how much it cost him for the gun and ski mask? Thats the only way i see it working.

On that aside i have a alienware area 51 mobile desktop and want to get a mac soon, and that Nvidia card looks sick...

M. Von Draxis, Professional Privateer - Bringing Class to Piracy Since X2: The Threat

My guides for mercenaries, pirates and privateers:
      The Professional Privateer: A Guide for the Discerning Pirate
      The Pirate's Hand Book